Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed

Thank you.
    Last edited by robocop1993; 07-22-2013, 01:24 AM.

Hi robocop. I'm a first-time WPS applicant (for Recruit Class 149). I have almost the same problem as yourself. For my entire life, doctors have told me that I'm colourblind - I would never be able to identify the numbers in the circles. However, there is a way around this, that satisfies the vision requirements for WPS.

The "numbers in the circles test" is formally called the "PIP test". I always fail this. But there is another colour vision test called the "Farnsworth D-15", which I can pass. Basically, the D-15 requires the participant to place shades of colour in order according to the colour continuum (Google "Farnsworth D-15 colour vision test" if you want a better explanation). So, one can pass this test as long as one's colour vision is sensitive enough to distinguish between shades of colour. So even though I failed the PIP, I can pass the Farnsworth D-15, which satisfies the WPS colour vision requirement.

I would suggest you do an internet search and try a D-15 test on your computer. To see if you passed, ask a person with normal colour vision to check your responses (to check yourself, there's also a mathematical way to check your answers, but it's a little complicated so most sites probably don't explain how to do it). If you pass (or even if you fail), go to an optometrist and ask if he/she can administer the Farnsworth D-15 (remember to bring your WPS Vision Form - the doctor will probably charge you a form fee to fill it out). Also make sure you meet the vision standards (available on the WPS website, as I'm sure you know). This is what I did, and I just went for my screening interview on Feb. 20!!!

You have nothing to lose (except an hour of your time and about $90 I suppose), so give it a shot. But, if you fail the D-15, you're ineligible to apply, as far as I know. Let me know if you have any other questions, hopefully I can help you out having been through the first steps of the selection process. I don't necessarily check here regularly, so maybe if you want to drop me a PM I can give you me email. Just a thought. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Comment

thank you

hello, i was able to do the fansworth d15 test i got almost 100%, maby one or two mistakes but it basically matched the normal color vision.

Thanks im going to call the Pd today

Comment

thank you

Thank you.
        Last edited by robocop1993; 07-22-2013, 01:24 AM.

Comment

hey guys if you need any information can i maybe help you!

been on with WPS for a while now and if you have any questions with recruiting just ask.

Goodluck with everything
          WPS successful applicant- 3 yr on the job

Comment

Blake.

Any chance you would know how much of a problem it would be if one has lived in a number of places in Canada and around the world in that last 6 years as far as background checks go? Any chance they would just say "Sorry, to hard to do?" The travel was with the Federal Government and I held a Top Secret Clearance the whole time and worked for Public Safety Canada for much of it.

Thanks
            Trevor

Comment

Good luck.
              Last edited by robocop1993; 07-22-2013, 01:14 AM.

Comment

been on with WPS for a while now and if you have any questions with recruiting just ask.
                Then,
                Thanks for the message will do that....
                Police Jobs | become a police officer

Comment

Working...
                X