This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Police Service

Discussions on the Toronto Police Service (TPS).

First!

Great sticky. This should help prevent the creation of several threads everyday on the same topic : )
    @ OPC

Comment

Hey guys,

Any update on the April intake? Does anyone know how many have been hired already?
      ATS Testing - OACP - January 24, 2009

Comment

TPS Driving Questionaire

Question 19 on the Driving Questionaire for TPS asks you to "list all the convictions for any driving related offences". I have never been convicted of any driving related offences. I did receive one speeding ticket in the past which I requested a court date, and as the police officer did not file the ticket on time so I got off. Since I was not convicted should I list the ticket? I've been told you should disclose everything, which I have no issue doing, however the question is about convictions. There seems to be no other place to list tickets given with no conviction. I was also pulled over once for speeding but not given a ticket. Should I list this as well? Thanks....
        TPS Application-March 2, 2009
        Blended Interview-passed April 30, 2009
        MMPI & PF16 May 14, 2009
        Background started May 27, 2009, completed June 11
        Home Interview June 10
        Psych Appt June 13
        Offer June 17
        Medical June 27

Comment

Re: TPS Driving Questionaire

Originally posted by torontocop
          Question 19 on the Driving Questionaire for TPS asks you to "list all the convictions for any driving related offences". I have never been convicted of any driving related offences. I did receive one speeding ticket in the past which I requested a court date, and as the police officer did not file the ticket on time so I got off. Since I was not convicted should I list the ticket? I've been told you should disclose everything, which I have no issue doing, however the question is about convictions. There seems to be no other place to list tickets given with no conviction. I was also pulled over once for speeding but not given a ticket. Should I list this as well? Thanks....
          I went through the same thing. I suggest leave it blank. I couldn't find anywhere on any of the application forms to disclose 'contacts with police'.

A friend of mine told me they ask you this during the interview, as they've already done a mini-background check on you. You would disclose all unconvicted tickets during the interview, as well as any interaction with police.

Comment

thanks... that is what I thought.
            MMPI & PF16 May 14, 2009
            Home Interview June 10
            Psych Appt June 13
            Offer June 17
            Medical June 27

Comment

Applying on Monday!

So I will be going in on Monday morning to submit my application to the TPS. I will be meeting my recruiter before. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to organize everything. I have tons and tons of paper: original documents (ie. birth certificate, SIN, COR, transcripts, etc) then 4 copies of all the originals, and 4 copies of all the other documentation. I know they will want to put everything in their own order but I would like to have some order so everything goes smoothly. Any suggestions? Thanks, James
              MMPI & PF16 May 14, 2009
              Home Interview June 10
              Psych Appt June 13
              Offer June 17
              Medical June 27

Comment

Re: Applying on Monday!

So I will be going in on Monday morning to submit my application to the TPS. I will be meeting my recruiter before. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to organize everything. I have tons and tons of paper: original documents (ie. birth certificate, SIN, COR, transcripts, etc) then 4 copies of all the originals, and 4 copies of all the other documentation. I know they will want to put everything in their own order but I would like to have some order so everything goes smoothly. Any suggestions? Thanks, James
                Hey Torontocop,

When I handed in my applications, I had organized three letter-sized envelopes.
                The first contained ALL original documents (transcripts, Birth Certificate, SIN, COR....).
                The second contained original application forms.
                The third contained copies of all applications.

Your recruiter will take everything out and verify all the info, and put it back in the order they want. If you put all items in envelopes, it makes it much easier for them.

Also, you dont need 4 copies of all the info. TPS asks for 1 set of photocopies, which you end up taking back home with you anyways.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is if you did not complete high school in Ontario, TPS will require an equivalency letter, even if you graduated somewhere else in Canada. A university degree/diploma will also do but a college degree/diploma won't. I ran into this problem when I had applied and had to pay $300 bucks to get the letter from University of Toronto.
                  I can't remember my other profile! LoL

Comment

Originally posted by ecilop
                    One thing to keep in mind is if you did not complete high school in Ontario, TPS will require an equivalency letter, even if you graduated somewhere else in Canada. A university degree/diploma will also do but a college degree/diploma won't. I ran into this problem when I had applied and had to pay $300 bucks to get the letter from University of Toronto.
                    What do you mean a college diploma won't do?

Comment

I have an internal reference who seems to be quite knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the process. Unfortunately he's out of the country right now so I can't ask him. He recommended I have 4 copies of everything. Not quite sure why though. I figured 1) to submit, 2) for my recruiter (if they wanted a copy), 3) for me 4) I have no idea why a 4th.

I graduated from high school in Ontario. Have no idea where my diploma is. Years ago I requested a copy of my transcript for some reason so I had that kicking around. I'm assuming that will suffice as confirmation of graduating from high school? Its embossed with the school logo, on official Ontario government transcript paper, etc.
                      MMPI & PF16 May 14, 2009
                      Home Interview June 10
                      Psych Appt June 13
                      Offer June 17
                      Medical June 27

Comment

Originally posted by Ransim
                        Originally posted by ecilop
                        What do you mean a college diploma won't do?
                        As it was explained to me by the Employment Unit is that a college diploma does not prove that you have graduated high school. You can still attend college, without graduating high school, as a mature student. Thus, you will still need to show them your high school diploma.
                        I can't remember my other profile! LoL

Comment

I graduated from high school in Ontario. Have no idea where my diploma is. Years ago I requested a copy of my transcript for some reason so I had that kicking around. I'm assuming that will suffice as confirmation of graduating from high school? Its embossed with the school logo, on official Ontario government transcript paper, etc.
                          I didn't have my OSSD Diploma either. I ordered a copy of my transcript as well. The recruiter took a look at it and accepted the transcript. If you dont have your diploma the official transcript will do. Just remember to bring along the original along with a couple of copies.

Comment

Originally posted by yunach
                            I didn't have my OSSD Diploma either. I ordered a copy of my transcript as well. The recruiter took a look at it and accepted the transcript. If you dont have your diploma the official transcript will do. Just remember to bring along the original along with a couple of copies.
                            The transcript will say (usually on the bottom somewhere) what you were awarded after the completion of these courses. I'd imagine that would suffice assuming you have lost/misplaced your actual diploma somewhere.
                            @ OPC

Comment

submitted!

I submitted my application package today. Thanks everyone for the great tips on how to organize my file. The recruiter commented on how organized everything was!

Now that I have submitted my file does anyone have recommendations as to what I should do while I wait for the interview call? I will give myself a day or two off, but I want to get started preparing for an interview. I'm assuming doing research on the police force and also anticipating questions that will be asked on the interview and coming up with scenarios to demonstrate my qualifications is stuff I should be doing.

I know my greatest weakness in this process is that I do not have a second language. Should I be enrolling in some French (or other language courses) so that way when I do get an interview I can say that is a skill I am working on? Or is it too late now in the process..obviously I am not going to become fluently bilingual in a year.
                              MMPI & PF16 May 14, 2009
                              Home Interview June 10
                              Psych Appt June 13
                              Offer June 17
                              Medical June 27

Comment

Working...
                              X